Kapatuosia Hill Fort, Hollola

Kapatuosia is a steep-sided ridge that was formed by the meltwaters of the continental ice sheet about 12000 years ago. In the location of the ridge meltwaters from the continental ice sheets carried sand and gravel with them to the First Salpausselkä and deposited it in layers along with the current as the ice withdrew.

Kapatuosia can be visited via the trails leading up the hill and beautiful scenery over Lake Vesijärvi unfolds from the viewing tower. To the north behind Lake Vesijärvi the Second Salpausselkä can be observed, while to the south east the radio and TV mast on the highest point of Southern Finland, Tiirismaa as a feature of the First Salpausselkä.

On the basis of archaeological digs there were people dwelling in the hill fort over 8000 years ago, when Kapatuosia was still an island and most of Finland was covered in water and ice. The hill fort was in use also during the Iron Age and the middle ages. Iron Age finds include remnants of wooden structures and coin stashes of about 1000 years old.

Kapatuosia is protected under the ancient site act. To the south of the hill, in about the years 1495-1510 the splendid medieval greystone Hollola Church was built. Hollola Church and the historic grounds represent a significant national built cultural environment.